Headroll


Not wanting to pay for having pillow-case made for me, and lacking the necessary skills to sew one myself, an alternative was sought that was both cheap and simple; thus I decided to create a headroll.

First of all the core was made from old flannels just rolled up one on the other, and whilst this results in a spiral rather than an ideal circle, by the time the covers are fitted this will not be as apparent as it is now. Also I put in a dowel for strength and to prevent the core from flopping all over the pace, but this isn’t essential.


Fig 1 : Rolled-up fabric.

The covers were made from off-cuts of satin.

For the ends, use hemming tape to glue pieces onto a think opaque fabric (I used part of an old t-shirt that was otherwise being used as a duster), then with normal glue attach that to a piece of thin card or thick paper.

The main cover was a long rectangle whose sides were folded over approx 3cm, to create a width approx 3mm wider than the core, then the resultant gap filled by another off-cut (folds 1&2 in fig 2). Unless everything was perfect, find the widest end and fold over by about 2cm (fold 3), as this will be the end of the outer spiral.


Fig 2 : Covers.

The long cover was then rolled tightly around the core, starting with the unsealed end, with the folded end being sealed with yet more hemming tape; make very sure when you’re doing this that the ends remain parallel.

On the back of the cards, draw circles about 1mm larger than the inner diameter of the exposed core ends, and using a pair of sharp scissors cut them out; no fraying should results as the entire piece of satin has been sealed against the underlying fabric, which is in turn glued to the card.

If you’re really good (count me out), place the end circles face down, gently bend up with edges by about 2mm to create a saucer or even further for a dome, whilst checking them in place at the ends of the core; finally glue and leave to set. They can either be left as they are, or a small length of cording used to hide the joins, but the cording itself will have a join for each loop anyway, so it’s all down to personal choice.

Finally, roll the outer cover over the core and gently glue every 120°-180°. There is still a seam where the outer spiral finishes, but as this is on the bottom and not very high, it shouldn’t be too obvious.


Fig 3 : Completed headroll.

And that’s it. Not much to look at, but then it wasn’t meant to be complicated, and it’s pure coincidence that the flannels were almost the same width as the mattress.


PROJECTS | DOLLS | HOME